Improving Care at the End of Life
2016: Improving Care at the End of Life: A report of the Aspen Institute Health Strategy Group, https://assets.aspeninstitute.org/content/uploads/2017/02/AHSG-Report-Improving-Care-at-the-End-of-Life.pdf. Forward by Kathleen Sebelius and Tommy G. Thompson.
This Report is divided into Two Parts.
- Part 1: Five Big Ideas to Improve Care at the End of Life
- Build the development and updating of an advance care plan into the fabric of life.
- Redefine Medicare coverage in a way that meets the complex needs of people with serious illness.
- Develop a set of quality metrics related to end-of-life care that can be used for accountability, transparency, improvement, and payment.
- Increase the number and types of health professionals who can meet the growing needs of an aging population.
- Support model communities embracing fundamental chane in the design and delivery of care for people with advanced illness.
- Part 2: Background Papers
- Overview of the End-of-Life Experience in the United States, Laura C. Hanson, MD MPH
- Care at the End of Life, Diane E. Meier, MD
- Financing Care at the End of Life: Ensuring Access and Quality in an Era of Value-Based Reforms, Haiden Huskamp, PhD and David Stevenson, PhD
- Doing Right By the Seriously Ill: Ethical Norms for Care Near the End of Life, Mildred Z. Solomon, EdD
Worth the read!